Points in Focus Photography

Home / Blog / Lightroom 3.6 Publish Service file name bug?

Lightroom 3.6 Publish Service file name bug?

I did a cursory Google for this, but otherwise haven’t fully investigated it. Instead I’m posting this half to remind to me to look into this deeper when I get a chance. In any event, here’s what I’m seeing…

In Lightroom 3.6 I have a Hard drive Publish Service setup to push out images to be synced to my iPad (though that last bit isn’t really important). File naming (renaming) is disabled so files should be named exactly the same as they are in the library. Regardless of what the format is set to under File Settings, the file names are always given the extension “.jpg”. So I’ll end up with a folder of TIFFs, PSDs, and RAWs that all are all named *.jpg in published folder.

I don’t usually mess with the output settings for a Publish Service after the service has been setup, so I don’t know if this is new, or has been an issue for some time.

Is anybody else seeing this?

Forgot to note, this is 64-bit Lightroom on 64-bit Win 7 Pro.

Hi, I'm Jason, the guy behind this site, and I hope you found this article useful. If you did, then maybe you'd be willing to do something to help me.

I think everybody likes to know they're doing something well. If this article was interesting or useful to you, why not smash the like button below and share it?

0

If you really found this article useful, perhaps you'd consider helping me keep this site online. One easy way to do that is to use one of the affiliate links below. You get to buy yourself something you already wanted, and I get a tiny commission because you used my link. Best of all, it doesn't cost you any more than it normally would. We both win!

Comments

Niagara Wedding Photographer

Are you able to open the ‘new’ set of photo’s as jpeg or are they having problems opening because they are the wrong format?

I beleive when they are published they are new files generated for the export.

Perhaps you should try working with the catologue settings, you can export a catologue and that will give you all orignainal files duplicated.

    V. J. Franke | admin

    No they’re not JPEGs, they’re whatever I set Lightroom to publish (DNGs, TIFFs, RAWs) the Publish Service export code is merely not giving them the correct extension.

    Regular exports work correctly, it’s only the publish services that seem fubar.

    Though to be honest, I’m not looking for a solution as much as I’m looking to see if anybody else can reproduce the problem.

    To reproduce:

    1. Create a new HD publish service
    2. Set the file type to JPEG
    3. Publish a picture
    4. Change the publish file time to TIFF
    5. Republish your pictures.
    6. Are the file names still [code]*.jpg[/code] or do the properly reflect the file type?
JB

Hey there,

I’m having a similar issue with 3.6 – When I go to ‘Export’ the usual options for file renaming are gone, replaced only with a ‘custom’ option.

I know this isn’t the exact issue you’re facing, but it could be another bug with 3.6

    V. J. Franke | admin

    The file naming list shown in the export dialog is the same as the file name list displayed when you press F2 to rename files in the library. Are you seeing the full list if you do that?

    Also check [code]%system_dirve%:\%profile_path%\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom\Filename Template[/code] and make sure there are files in that directory (there should be one for each of your file name presets). On Windows Vist or 7 it would be something like “c:\users\user_name\appdata\roaming\adobe\lightroom\filename templates”, on Windows XP it would be “C:\documents and settings\user_name\appdata\adobe\lightroom\filename templates”. Unfortunately, I’m not entirely sure where they are on a Mac.

Alex Herbert

It seems that this issue is still present in LR4.

As far as I can tell the filenames are set using the current export service settings when the image is first written out. If you subsequently change the filename option (or in your case the file type) this does not update the names of the already exported images. It will effect any new images to be published.

I assume that Lightroom is tagging each image with the original filename used when it was first exported. This allows it to replace the original file when any develop settings are altered.

You can test this as follows:

Set-up a hard drive publish service.
Create and publish a folder with a few images.
Change the filename/file type output options.
Re-publish the folder => No filename change
Create a new publish folder in the same service and copy the images across.
Publish the second folder => Updated filenames

This is the method I have had to use to change my output filenames to have a date/time prefix. I had to duplicate each folder and then republish. Simply updating the output filename options was not enough.

Our cookie and privacy policy. Dismiss